A high intensity interval training (HIIT) is short but intensive training and is considered to be very effective and fits even the busiest schedules. During a HIIT, the person performs exercises that cause the heart rate to increase followed by a period of rest or light exercises that allow the heart rate to decrease. A single training session usually lasts 15-20 minutes.
It is important to remember that a HIIT is not suitable for everyone and beginners should always start with shorter bouts and build up their exercise slowly and gradually. Some of the health benefits of a HIIT are:
- It boosts metabolism.
- Burns energy during and after the workout.
- Improves muscle strength.
- You can do it anywhere and anytime as these sessions consist mainly of bodyweight exercises.
- It helps in hormonal and blood glucose regulation.
- Evidence-based research shows that it is an effective method to improve cardiorespiratory fitness.
Some exercises that are often performed during high-intensity interval training are jump squats, plank jacks, burpees, and mountain climbers.
Interested in reading about other topics? then please click here.
ProHealth365 Physiotherapy and Nutrition